While there is no single cause of type 2 diabetes, there are well-known risk factors. Some of these can be changed and some cannot.
Risk factors which cannot be changed:
People who are most likely to get type 2 diabetes often have these risk factors:
- A family history of diabetes.
- Over 45 years old – the risk increases as we get older.
- Are from an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background.
- Are from ethnic backgrounds that are more likely to have type 2 diabetes such as Melanesian, Polynesian, Chinese or people from the Indian sub-continent.
- Women who have:
- given birth to a child over 4.5 kgs (9 lbs) or had gestational diabetes when pregnant
- a condition known as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Risk factors which can be changed:
- level of physical activity
- blood pressure
- type of food we eat